The proverb says, “Where there are no oxen, the manger is clean, but abundant crops come by the strength of the ox.”
Think of membership marketing as your ox. If you are actually testing new ideas and approaches and out in the marketplace, you will have some messes to clean up from it. Clearly the messes are not on purpose and everything possible should be done to avoid them.
Nevertheless, you will invariably hear complaints like:
- You sent a promotion to a current member.
- Your messages are too strong.
- Your marketing is too expensive.
- You send too many renewal notices.
- You interrupted my dinner with a phone call.
- You offered my friend a discount, but not me.
But here is the benefit. A well run membership development program will grow your membership and produce abundant returns. A sure way to keep everything neat and clean is not to change anything. Over time the result will be a stagnant or declining membership.
Which do you choose?
 Proverbs 14:4 , ESV